top of page
  • rradar

No deal Brexit guidance for commercial drivers

Updated: Feb 16

Do you operate a haulage company? Do your drivers operate outside the UK, particularly to Europe?

The government has just published new guidance outlining the driver, vehicle, cargo and customs documents needed to transport goods into the EU. This is to provide assistance for hauliers and commercial drivers as they prepare for the UK leaving the EU without a deal in place.

Driver Documents

  • International Driving Permit(s) in some countries (France, Italy and Cyprus)

  • Passport. Drivers should have at least 6 months left on a passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). If current passports were renewed before the previous ones expired, extra months may have been added to the expiry date. Any extra months on drivers’ passports over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed. Check here:

  • ECMT (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) permit for some journeys (99% of journeys between the UK and the EU will continue as they are now, and will not need a permit, until at least 31st December 2019.)

  • Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)

  • Tachograph driver card

Vehicle Documents

  • Motor Insurance Green Card(s)

  • GB Sticker on the vehicle and trailer

  • Vehicle log book

Customs and Cargo Documents

Hauliers will need to request separate documents from their Exporter for the cargo they are carrying. Additional documents will be needed if:

  • High Risk Goods

  • Animal/Plant/Other Controlled products

are being transported.

It is the responsibility of the Exporter to provide these documents, but they will be needed to take goods across the border.

Depending on the terms on which the UK leaves the EU, further updated guidance may be issued.

rradarstation: rradarstation is a resource available through the AXA MLP policy where policyholders can access rradar’s legal advisory team over the phone or by email and web portal that provides over 1,000 articles, step by step guidance sheets, forms, sample letters and templates to download relating to running a commercial business including employment law issues such as driver and transport procedures.

Need to contact us?

For all media related enquiries, please contact us on

bottom of page